For those of you that follow me on instagram, you might have noticed my summer has been filled with the hashtag #pancakestagram. This tag refers to my weekly pancake-making which ranged from raspberry white chocolate, to banana-chocolate chip, to apple-cinnamon. All were delicious, but by the time august hit, I was admittedly, pancake-ed out. I turned my attention to another breakfast favorite - french toast! S'mores french toast to be exact. First, I spread a generous layer of Nutella on both halves of the bread - the more the better! Next, I cut large marshmallows in half and arranged them in a grid on one side of the bread and closed the creation with the other slice. I dipped the s'mores sammie into a batter of eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla and encrusted it in a layer of graham cracker crumbs. After a few minutes on each side in the frying pan, the result was a decedent dessert breakfast oozing chocolate-hazelnut spread and gooey marshmallows. But as Jacques Torres once said....
"Life is short, eat dessert first!"
S'mores French Toast
Makes 2 Servings
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 slices of Bread (thicker is better)
1/3 cup Nutella
3-4 large marshmallows or 10 mini-marshmallows
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1-2 tablespoons of butter for the pan
1. In a shallow dish, whisk together first four ingredients until combined. Set aside.
2. Pour graham cracker crumbs in another shallow dish in an even layer. Set aside.
3. Place 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over medium-heat
4. While butter is melting, spread nutella on both halves of the bread
5. Cut 3-4 large marshmallows in half and arrange them on one half of the bread
6. Close the sandwich
7. Dip sandwich in egg mixture, then flip over so both sides are coated.
8. Dip sandwich in graham cracker crumbs, then flip over so both sides are coated
9. Place sandwich on heated frying pan for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown
10. Repeat for second sandwich, you might even have enough for a third!
11. Enjoy, and don't forget a napkin - these are messy!!!
For more on making s'mores, check out my stop-motion collaboration with Zac Wolf Photography here!