I've had my eye on Madeleines for a long time but finally decided to give em a try when I realized they would be perfect for Lolli's Birthday Party because they looked similar to kitty paws. Yes, Lolli's birthday party - to celebrate four years with the best cat that ever was. We set up The Danger Booth and and made a cat-toy backdrop with cut out lolli-head props. Lolli's best pal, Toby the dog, even showed up in his best bandana!
But back to the madeleines, these mini french butter cakes took THREE times to get right. I didn't realize that so much could go wrong with a tiny tea cake. My first attempt I filled the tin 3/4 way like a cupcake and ended up with batter spilling over the sides. My second attempt stayed in the oven a bit too long and att too high of a temperature. Finally at 350 degrees and 8 minutes exactly - I got the perfect Madeleine!
Here's a recap of Lolli's Birthday Party -
Rosemary "Cornbread" Madeleines
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 ounces (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, and rosemary until pale and thick, about 2 minutes.
3. Whisk in honey
4. Fold in flour mixture using a rubber spatula.
5. Pour in butter in a slow, steady stream, folding gently to combine. Refrigerate batter for at least 4 hours (or overnight).
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a madeleine pan if NOT non-stick.
7. Bake for 8-minutes or until golden around edges. Remove from oven, and immediately transfer madeleines from pan to a wire rack. Let cool.
NOTE: Cooking times will vary with different madeleine pans - used the Chicago Metallic 12-cup Nonstick Madeleine Pan