Look at that haul, friends! I was able to save about $15 this week on groceries and baking supplies with the help of Star Market's new MyMixx feature. Over the course of the next four weeks, I'll be using the MyMixx feature to get recommended coupons based on the way I clip and shop.
The game plan is this: I take these tailored recommendations and go at them Chopped-style, creating a baked good using only coupons and other items that are on sale that week. Below are my items used in week 1 (plus some paper towels because I am messy) to create Sweet, Crunch, Salty Gelato Sandwiches.
My mission starred in the MyMixx app where I browsed through all coupons available since they don't have have data on my buying habits/interests. Pro: super easy to clip these coupons and they go right to a list for you to refer back to Con: if you click into one of the coupons to learn more about the product, it takes you back to the top of the list, not where you were in the list so I found myself re-scrolling a lot to get through to the bottom of the list.
Once I had my "anchor ingredients" from MyMixx - Potato Chips, Chocolate Candy, and Gelato - I began to look for any complimentary or standard baking ingredients that would be on sale in the weekly ad section of the app. I loved that it was organized by department which made things easy to find. Within this area, I found flour, sugar, and butter were all sale - done and done.
Once I got to Star Market, it was really easy to shop considering my list was right there in the app! While loitering in the eggs section, a friendly employee with an iPad came up to make sure I got the MyMixx coupon for $0.99 eggs. She also let me know the way I redeem my coupons is by giving your phone number to the cashier which is linked to my account.
At the register, I had to prompt the cashier with my phone number (womp.) but I guess it's still a new initiative for them too. However, not even seconds later I saw the extra savings come right off my total! When I got to my car, I saw I already had an itemized email with my receipt outlining all of my savings - $14.88 overall!
I'm excited for next week's MyMixx Challenge - but first I'll be snacking on some Salty, Crunch, Sweet Gelato Sandwiches! Here's now to get started with MyMixx for yourself:
SALTY, CRUNCHY, SWEET GELATO SANDWICHES
Salty, Crunchy, Sweet Gelato Sandwiches
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 + 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 11oz mini Nestle Crunch Bars, chopped
- 1 cup Kettle Brand Sea Salt Potato Chips, crushed and divided
- 1 container Breyers Vanilla Caramel Gelato Indulgences
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl with a hand or stand mixer, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, one a time.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1 teaspoon of warm water and add to batter along with vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir in flour, one cup at a time, until fully incorporated
- Add chopped Nestle Crunch Bars and 1/2 cup of crushed Kettle Brand Sea Salt Potato Chips, gently stir until evenly distributed
- Measure out 3oz of dough and flatten a bit with your palms. Bake for 17 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool completely
- Scoop 4oz of Breyers Vanilla Caramel Gelato Indulgences on one cookie and sandwich it between another. Very gently press together and be careful not to break the cookie.
- Roll the sandwiches in remaining 1/2 crushed potato chips
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for 1-2 hours before enjoying!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Star Market. The opinions and text are all mine.