"Winter" break in Florida always makes me chuckle. While Northern friends posted a continuous stream of snowy tree tops and weather.com screen shots, I was encouraged to bring down a bathing suit and mentally reminded myself not to forget my sunscreen and flip flops. Winter in Florida is our reward for suffering through punishingly sweltering summer months and I made sure to take complete advantage of this one! One of the days, I went with my boyfriend and his family to a U-pick fruit and vegetable farm where the main attraction was strawberries. I got straight to work picking the reddest and juiciest I could find. I love making desserts in a farm-to-table style like a blackberry cobbler or apple pie where the connection to the food is so much stronger. I even got the fresh thyme for the honey-thyme ice cream at their farm store. We all cooked dinner together and enjoyed these individual crumbles for dessert - it was a perfect winter day in Florida.
Individual Strawberry Crumbles with Honey -Thyme Ice Cream
1 + 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, halved
2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 tsp cinnamon pinch of salt
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 1/2-cup ramekins with cooking spray
2. In a bowl, combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice and allow to sit while preparing the topping.
3. For the topping, combine all-purpose flour, dark brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt and mix with fingers until crumbly like sand.
4. Divide the strawberries into the ramekins and distribute topping evenly on top
5. Place both ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden
6. While baking, combine vanilla ice cream, fresh chopped thyme, and honey and place back in freezer until crumbles are done baking.
7. Serve strawberry crumbles warm with a scoop for honey-thyme ice cream
photos by: Zac Wolf Photography