Week 4 and the final week of The MyMixx Challenge! For those of you just tuning in, I've been using the new MyMixx function in the Star Market app to develop a recipe using only on-sale items. This week highlights Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake, Pillsbury Chocolate Frosting, and Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Jam. Outside of this recipe, I've been using the app to shop for my weekly groceries and saved $10 this week alone! Throughout the course of the last 4 weeks that brings me to a total of about $70 in savings!! For one week and two people that is roughly 1 full week of free groceries for me - wow! I'm definitely going to keep using the Star Market app as well as the MyMixx feature. I have to say my favorite feature is getting an e-mailed receipt. I normally shove the paper one in my purse or a plastic bag never to be looked at again, but having an e-mailed receipt is great to refer back to and review my savings.
I very vividly remember the first time I found out about lamingtons. It was 2010 and I was working in a cupcake shop that shared space with a catering company. The woman who owned the catering company was carefully preparing lamingtons for a dark chocolate first coat and told me their Australian origin and offered me a taste. I remember thinking "Pound cake covered in chocolate and coconut, huh? Why isn't this more popular in the USA?!"At this time, I also had an Australian roommate and giddily returned home excited to tell her I had discovered a treat more appealing than veggie-mite. She had already won me over on TimTam Cookies but, I was excited to add lamingtons to repertoire of Australian dessert knowledge.
It took five years for me to actually make my own lamingtons, but here we are. This recipe is your shortcut version, using frozen pound cake and canned chocolate frosting. There's something about the way the highly manufactured frozen brand of pound cake cuts into perfectly perfect squares that made it extremely appealing to use. There were barely any crumbs which made the whole dipping process infinitely easier. I'm really happy with how these lamingtons came out. I hope I don't have to wait another five years to have them again!
- 1 loaf Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake
- 1 Container Pillsbury Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Jam
- 1+1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 6" skewers
- Cut the pound cake into 1.5"x1.5"x1.5" squares, chill for 20 minutes
- Meantime, transfer container of chocolate frosting into a medium sized bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until it reaches a pourable consistency. You may not use all the milk as you don't want it to get too thin.
- Cut each cube of cake in half and spread 1/4 teaspoon of strawberry jam in between halves.
- Skewer the cube with a 6" skewer and use a spatula or spoon to thoroughly coat every side of the cube with chocolate frosting. Rest skewer on side of the bowl to allow excess chocolate to drip off for 1-2 minutes (see photos)
- Position chocolate-coated skewer over another bowl and cover all sides with chopped sweetened coconut
- Transfer to a wire-rack set over a baking sheet (to catch any dripping) and gently pull out skewer. Use coconut to cover any indent your finger might have made.
- Transfer to freezer and allow to chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Photos by: Zac Wolf Photography
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Star Market. The opinions and text are all mine.