There are few combinations that beat chocolate + peanut butter. Something about it just hits all the perfect flavors of creamy chocolate and salty, nutty, peanut butter. I remember one of my favorite cereals growing up was Reese's Puffs..do they even still make it? It's basically a bowl of sugar and boy was it good. As an adult, I love popping a few Miniature Reese's Cups every once in a while (best eaten frozen, by the way). While working at Trader Joe's I noticed a box of Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter cups that looked way to good to pass up. I bought them without even thinking what I would bake with them - If I couldn't think of anything I could always stockpile them in the freezer, right? Luckily, I remembered a cookie someone once brought to a potluck I threw. Peanut butter cookies baked in a mini muffin tin with a PB cup tucked neatly in the center. Not only did it look and taste delicious, but it combined everything I wanted in a chewy chocolately little cookie package. I took this idea and swapped out the milk for dark chocolate cups and it added a whole new dimension of subtle bitterness. I don't usually like dark chocolate but I ate at least five of these cookie cups. The presentation and ease of preparation makes these cookies great for potlucks or bake sales, so give them a try!
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup CookiesAdapted From: All Recipes
1 + 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
36 miniature dark chocolate peanut butter cups, unwrapped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.
3. Cream together the butter, sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
4. Beat in the egg, vanilla and milk.
5. Add the flour mixture; mix well until dough forms
6. Shape into 36 balls and place each into an un-greased mini muffin pan.
7. Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a mini peanut butter cup into each ball. Return to oven for 3 more minutes of baking until golden brown
8. Cool in pan (about 1 hour) before carefully removing