Chunky S'mores Bars
Last week, I was supposed to go camping in central Massachusetts. I've never been camping in my life - too hot, too many bugs, no gear, no interest. I was convinced by friends that my preconceived notions of camping were wrong and it's actually an enjoyable activity. They would provide the gear and the guidance and I would provide the s'mores - done deal. However, we didn't account for the tornadoes the day Zac and I were supposed to leave and our trip was swiftly canceled. Hopefully, I'll get another chance to go camping, but in the mean time I was left with a marshmallows, graham crackers, and Hershey bars. I found a recipe that put some great twists on s'mores bars. Instead of incorporating crumbs into the batter for graham cracker flavor, large broken pieces are added to give a chunky texture. Instead of placing marshmallows on top and broiling the last two minutes for a torched look, they are baked directly into the batter. Instead of a melty uniform layer of chocolate, chocolate chunks are dispersed evenly throughout. My favorite part was how thick these bars came out, and they reminded me of a well executed cookie cake - soft and chewy with tons of texture from the graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate. These bars are great party food and can easily be cut into clean square for serving.
A side note, something special about this week's post is that yours truly took all of the photos! You might have noticed the "Zac Wolf Photography" at the bottom of every post to credit Zac for taking my photos. This week he decided to teach me the basics of using a camera, focusing, and how light reflects. I learned a lot and am excited to take more of my own photos in the future! So how'd I do guys? Leave it in a comment!
Chunky S’mores Bars
Level of Difficulty: Easy
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5oz graham crackers, broken into large pieces
- 12-12 large marshmallows, cut in half (or 20-25 mini marshmallows)
- 4 Hershey bars, broken into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix just until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and mix for another minute.
- Add flour mixture slowly and mix just until incorporated.
- With a spatula, gently fold in graham crackers marshmallows, and chocolate pieces. Reserve a few of each for placing on the top for aesthetics.
- Press batter into greased 9×13 baker. Press your reserved chunks as needed on to the top.
- Bake in a 350º oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into batter part comes out clean. Don't test through a marshmallow.
- Allow the bars to cool in the fridge before serving. Store bars in the refrigerator.