I was recently challenged to switch up flours and explore the benefits of coconut flour. I've never had coconut flour, but will the recent health crazy for gluten-free, I thought I would give it a try.
The coconut taste is far from subtle, so I chose to compliment it rather than cover it up with a healthy addition of cardamom. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices and I definitely don't bake with it as much as I would like! The cakes were denser than a normal cupcake, but not that uber denseness you'll sometimes find with health desserts. The lemon cream cheese frosting was a no brainer for me as covering anything with cream cheese frosting is typically a good decision.
While I do love me some good ole' AP, there are some benefits to baking with coconut flour. Mainly, it is rich in protein and so it is more filling.. That means you're more likely to have just one of these cupcakes (although, no promises). The other thing to note about baking with coconut flour is it is NOT a 1:1 substitute with wheat flour! Typically, you'll use about 1/4 cup coconut flour for every 1 cup of wheat flour. You can find more information about baking with coconut flour and purchase some for yourself here.
Cardamom Cupcakes + Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Cardamom Cupcakes Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 6 Tbs. raw honey
- 6 Tbs. coconut oil
- 2 Tbs. coconut milk, room temp.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Cardamom Cupcakes Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a muffin tin with liners
- Combine the coconut flour and eggs until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Divide evenly between the muffin tins.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups confectioners' sugar
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:
- Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add confectioners' sugar in 2 additions. Beat until creamy.
- Add more sugar or juice as needed for consistency, should be on the stiffer side.