Sometimes it's nice to stick to the classics. It's been a while since I made Rice Krispy treats but they never disappoint. It's kind of amazing how the Rice Krispy cereal brand has made itself inseparable from the idea of making a puffed rice treat. Who knew the pinnacle of brand recognition would be covered in melted marshmallows?
With only three ingredients to work with - I gave the butter a more complex flavor by browning it first. If you've never had browned butter - its taste is often described as slightly nutty. Of course adding the stick and chocolate drizzle made for a fun presentation but I could've 100% eaten these treats alone. Both without chocolate and by myself - don't tempt me with a good time!
Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 10oz bag of mini marshmallows
- 5 cups of Rice Krispy cereal
- Chocolate sauce (optional)
- Treat sticks (optional)
- Place Rice Krispy cereal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Line an 8x8 square baking dish with tin foil so it overhangs on each side. Spray the tinfoil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown the butter by melting it in a sauce pan until it turns a light amber color
- Remove from heat and add marshmallows. Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth and melted. You can place over burner and let residual heat melt it down if you need a bit of help.
- Pour the butter-marshmallow mixture over the cereal and mix until evenly coated
- Transfer to the baking dish and press down firmly. It is important to make these bars as solid as possible. The easiest way to do this is to spray a rubber spatula with cooking spray so the spatula won't stick to the marshmallow as you are pressing down.
- Allow to set at room temperature for 1-2 hours or speed up the process in the fridge.
- Cut into rectangles and insert sticks. You can also drizzle with chocolate sauce if desired.
Photos By: Zac Wolf Photography