Baked Double Chocolate Doughnuts (with sprinkles!)
Per my last post, Rose Cream Puffs, I had a whole lot of leftover chocolate ganache and was certainly not going to let it go to waste. I thought about what other treat would taste good smothered in thick dark chocolate and came up with only one logical conclusion - more chocolate. These baked chocolate doughnuts were airy and had a distinct tang from the added buttermilk. I then proceeded to smother each in a layer of chocolate ganache and all the rainbow sprinkles it could hold. An A+ choice if I do say so. But then again, chocolate always is.
Baked Double Chocolate Doughnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 recipe chocolate ganache
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a doughnut pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract together until smooth.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix and combine until smooth.
5. Fill a piping bag with the batter and fill each doughnut ring no more than two-thirds full.
6. Bake 13 minutes or until the top of a doughnut springs back. Remove from oven and invert the doughnuts onto a cooling rack.
7. When doughnuts are cool, spread a generous layer of chocolate ganache and sprinkle rainbow sprinkles over the top. Keep in refrigerated for up to 3 days.